If you are the hostess, do…
- Have the table prepared before guests arrive.
- Take guests dietary needs into consideration.
- Offer an alternative to alcohol.
- Keep the bathroom well stocked.
- Make a playlist. Background music makes things more festive.
- Announce “Dinner is ready; Shall we go in?” and lead the way to dinner.
If you are the hostess, don’t…
- Be late serving the food.
- Rush through the courses. Have a pause between them to allow for second helpings.
- Have dessert at the table. Spice things up and have it in the living room.
- Let the guest do the dishes. Unless they’re compulsive.
- Write thank-you notes. Give a gift! It doesn’t have to be something expensive.
If you are the guest, do…
- Come bearing gifts.
- Offer to help.
- Pay attention to what others around you are saying.
- Do take the invite and responses seriously.
- Follow the dress code if one is set.
If you are the guest, don’t…
- Arrive early but don’t arrive more than 15 minutes late.
- Use your cell phone throughout the dinner. If you have an emergency, excuse yourself.
- Bring something you expect the hostess to integrate into the meal.
- Stay too late or leave too early.
- Show-up with someone unexpected.