Last week, I had a few too many sluggish and unproductive mornings. I was constantly feeling tired and sluggish probably due to eating the wrong foods, not drinking enough water, and skipping a few pilates classes. I originally didn’t know what was causing me to feel like this, but after a few minutes of thinking I realized it was because I deviated from my typical morning routine. Below I have listed five things that help jumpstart my mornings, and I hope you find it helpful. Happy Monday!
1. Eat a Healthy Breakfast: Growing up my mother and grandmother would constantly repeat the importance of eating a good healthy breakfast. They would say “make sure you are eating breakfast everyday, so you can have enough energy and nutrients to get you through the day.” Now that I am in my 20s I have really noticed the difference in my energy and concentration levels if I forgo breakfast. Each morning I try to eat a nice balanced breakfast. I love eating oatmeal, Chobani greek yogurt (I love the strawberry and mixed berry flavors), or a granola bar. If I am on the go I pack a banana or granola in a plastic baggy.
2. Drink a Cup of Coffee or Tea: Almost every morning I wake and drink a cup of Teavana’s Samurai Chai Mate Tea mixed with the White Ayurvedic Chai Tea. These teas are a great source of antioxidants and help balance and support digestion. I’m not much of a coffee drinker but the caffeine in moderation can help boost your energy levels.
3. Take an Early Morning Exercise Class: At least 3-4 times a week I start my morning off by taking an early morning pilates or spin class. After taking a morning class I always feel more energetic and focused. I also notice that my metabolism is boosted making me more likely to eat healthy foods afterwards.
4. Drink a Protein Shake or Make a Fruit Smoothie: At my gym in St. Louis my mother and I would always get protein shakes after our morning workouts. After drinking a shake, I always noticed that my appetite was suppressed. When I don’t have enough time to cook breakfast, I sometimes make myself a fruit/veggie smoothie. I typically make mine with strawberries, bananas, spinach or kale, and sometimes I add a little greek yogurt. Drinking a protein shake or fruit smoothie are very convenient when traveling, driving to work, or heading to class.
5. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate: Drinking plenty of water in the morning helps your body produce new muscle and blood cells, boost your metabolism, and give you a beautiful morning glow. Who wouldn’t want an early morning glow! #Iwokeuplikethis #flawless
P.S. It’s so funny to say but when I was taking these pictures in Tampa I was pranked! On my way to the coffee shop a little guy asked to use my phone to call his mom because “he was lost” after watching me take a few photographs he told me it was a prank and that he just wanted to tell me that I was beautiful. Then he asked for a hug!! Aw melts my heart! Lets remember to spread love, you will never know how much a simple statement can make someone’s day.